Latin Patriarchate School - Ein Ariq

Ein Ariq is a very small village that lies in the western part of Ramalla, one of the biggest cities in the West Bank. It is seven Kilometers to the west of Ramalla and it is 700 meters above the sea-surface. Ein in Arabic means water spring and Ariq is derived from the word Arqi-that was the name of one of the leaders of Prophet David who camped in the area with his army thousands years ago.
        People in the past usually gathered and settled down where water was available. This was the case of Ein Ariq where people lived and still live. The area of this small town is about 5500 donums and it is surrounded by some villages such as Deir kinia, Dear Bzie, Betonia and of course Ramalla.
          Many vegetables and fruits are grown in it; olive trees can be seen a lot in it and pomegranate too due it its hilly nature.
          Ein Ariq faces a serious problem. Many of its people evacuate it to other Palestinian cities or to other countries. The reason why they do so is because that the small town lacks the vital services they need.
          Infrastructure is completely absent. The town also suffers from many other problems that result from the continuation of the Israeli occupation of the town.
          About one thousand and five hundred people live in the village now and nearly the same number of its inhabitants live in other Palestinian cities and abroad. Two thirds of its people are Muslims, half of them are those who immigrated to it after 1948 war, and the other half are its genuine people.
          The other third of its people are Christians who belong to two denominations:
                  1.        The Greek orthodox, about 200, they have a church that was built in 1860.
                  2.        The Latin, about 130,they have a church built in 1952, they also have a monastery built in 1912 and inhabited by some Italian monks and nuns who run the monastery and care about their parish in the village.
          The Latin Patriarchate in Jerusalem owns about 15 donums in the village and it also has some properties in the monastery. It has a school in the village, a primary one, a mixed school that was founded in 1885 in a room in the monastery at that time. In 1982 a kinder-garden was associated to the school and in 1990 a new independent building was constructed on the monastery land that lies in the central part of the village.
          In 1994 a new and qualified staff was appointed to run the school and an agreement was signed between the administration of the Latin Patriarchate schools and the faculty of education in Bethlehem University that allows the faculty to supervise the school and its kinder-garden. Since then many developmental courses for teachers have been held to increase and update their knowledge and to improve their teaching skills. Additional rooms were built and attached to the school in 1997,and in 1998 a hall for the school was built and is expected to be used in 1999.The school is provided with all means of learning and with every possible facility that enable it to keep up with the scientific development in the country and in the world too.
          The school now has a good reputation that makes students from different surrounding villages and cities attend it. Student from Ramalla itself come to study at it and this is really a strange phenomenon!!
          The number of students has increased recently. In the scholastic year 1994-1995, the number of student was 82.While in this scholastic year 1998-1999 it is about 200 students, males and females. Holders of university degrees among teachers have also increased. In the scholastic year 94-95 they were only three out of nine. While in 1998 they become six out of eleven and the rest hold the diploma degree and have good and sufficient experience that makes them qualified and skilled teachers.
          In the village there are also two schools belong to the UNRWA that were established after 1948 war, one for boys and the other for girls.